Friday, April 13, 2018

My Troubles With AT&T: Update April 13, 2018

Because AT&T so far refuses to honor a promise that was made to me by one of its employees regarding my bill (actually, more than one made the promise), I feel a need to document every development, to keep a record and to make it public, so that the company too can review it. Yesterday I posted an update, with some information on the employee’s promise to me, and on the latest communications I had with the company. Click here to read that. And now here is today’s update.
  • 9:33 a.m. –  Adam calls just to say he’s waiting for approval to look for the recording of the March 12th call, and that he’ll call me back with an update later.
  • 12:19 p.m. – An automated message from AT&T is left on my home phone’s answering machine. “This is an important call from AT&T regarding your account,” the message begins. It goes on to ask me to call their 1-800 number, not a direct line or anything. No details are given on what the call is about. My guess is it has nothing to do with the ongoing problems, and is rather just a reminder to pay what AT&T sees as an overdue bill. (I didn’t answer because I have a personal rule to never answer or respond to a call made by a recording. I demand interactions with real people.)
  • 1:37 p.m. – I receive a text message from AT&T: “AT&T Alert: We may not arrive by 2PM.” Sam, the technical support guy I spoke with yesterday, assured me a technician would be here between noon and 2 p.m. today. Now, who knows? The text message tells me to type “KEEP” if I still want the guy to come out today. But when I typed “Keep,” I got this response: “Message + would like to send a message to 883773. This may cause charges on your mobile account.” What the hell? So I didn’t reply at all. The other option was to type “STOP” if I wanted to cancel the appointment. Since I am not typing either, I assume the guy will come out here, especially as I had told AT&T I didn’t want to receive any text messages in the first place.
  • 2:02 p.m. – Clearly, the repairman won’t make it here within that two-hour window, as we are two minutes past that now. Will he or she come at all? I have other things I need to do, but I am stuck here, even though I’m sure all the work that is necessary will be done at the box outside.
  • 2:07 p.m. – Also, I have not heard back from Adam with regards to the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment