Thursday, April 12, 2018

My Troubles With AT&T: Update April 12, 2018 Part 2


I've been having problems with AT&T for a couple of years, with intermittent service to my landline and internet, with repeated problems with the bills also. But the past few months, it has gotten much, much worse. February was so bad, that one of the service people promised me that my bill would be $0 for the month. When the bill arrived, it was for $76.11. On March 12th, I called AT&T to discuss that problem, as well as a problem with my service. Because, even after technicians had come out again, my connection got worse. In fact, I had no service whatsoever - no landline, no internet - on March 12th. The man I spoke with on the morning of March 12th, whose name is Patrick (he did not give his last name), promised me he had fixed that bill, and it was $0. And he promised me that my next bill would likewise be $0, since I still had no service. I made him confirm both of those things four times before transferring me to a technician. 

But it turns out that Patrick did not fix either bill, and did not document the call at all, as the people I've spoken with since then have told me they can find no documentation of the call. Strange, since the technicians did come out soon after that. One thing I despise is dishonesty, and I feel that AT&T is being dishonest with me. Now, the thing they're doing here that I find even more infuriating is that AT&T is accusing me of lying. They're implying that since they have no note of the conversation, that the conversation must not have taken place. I of course have the conversation noted, but in effect I am being told that AT&T does not believe me.

I decided to make one last attempt to resolve the situation before going to the Better Business Bureau, and maybe switching phone companies. So here are notes from the phone call I made today, which began at 2:25 p.m. and ended at 4:03 p.m.

PHONE CONVERSATION: 4-12-18
  • I call at 2:25p.m.
  • I reach a real person at 2:26. Rachel (who said her ID number is B-zero-B). She would not give me her last name. I asked.
  • I explain the problem in some detail. I can't even begin to guess how many AT&T employees have heard this story already.
  • Rachel tells me the only way they can fix the problem, the only way they can give me what I was promised, is if it was properly documented. But that is the problem. Patrick failed to document our conversation; at least that's what I've been told by several people since then. I had him confirm that he’d documented it four times before he transferred me to technical support, but he apparently still failed to do.
  • At 2:31 p.m., Rachel puts me on hold to check the documentation. This is after she told me that every single call is recorded. What happened to the recording of the call I had on March 12th? I wonder.
  • At 2:47 p.m., I get fed up with her saying the charges are sustained because of lack of documentation, and I ask her to transfer me to her supervisor.
  • I am put on hold at 2:47 p.m. There is no music or anything, and after a couple of minutes I wonder if she’s simply hung up on me. Customer service could not possibly be worse. By the way, she kept calling me “Mr. Michael,” until finally I said, “Michael is my first name.”
  • At 2:52 p.m., suddenly there is a one-second burst of music, then nothing again. So my messages have been ignored on Twitter. The promises to me were not documented or kept. I’m told that all calls are recorded, but for some reason they cannot find the 1 hour 24 minute conversation I had with Patrick and technicians on March 12th. And now they’re just leaving me on hold, ignoring me again. I’ve never been treated so poorly by any company.
  • It is 2:58 p.m. I’ve been on hold for eleven minutes. No one has come on to let me know how long the wait might be. No one has given any indication whatsoever that they are even aware that I am on hold or that they have any intention of picking up. How long am I supposed to remain on hold? Is my time not important?
  • At 3:05 p.m., I hear a bit of music, and then a ringing, and I am hopeful that perhaps someone will answer.
  • At 3:08 p.m., Adam (ID or Badge # 169994) answers and tells me they’ll investigate the issue. Apparently no one has searched for the recording of that March 12th call, although several people have told me that they were unable to find it. So, anyway it is not documented that anyone searched for that recording. Did they just tell me they couldn't find it without actually looking for it? Or did they look for it, fail to find it, and then fail to document that they searched for it?
  • Adam keeps telling me that my current bill is due on the 16th. I explain that my past bill and current bill are both $0, and that I will not, under any circumstances, pay even one cent. I also tell him that because of the interruption in my service last night that my next bill should be adjusted accordingly. He seems to think I mean the current bill. I tell him to forget the current bill for a moment, that I am now talking about the next bill. 
  • At 3:42 p.m., I tell Adan I have to get off the phone soon because I have to pee. But first we need to schedule yet another technician since my service cut out last night.
  • At 3:43 p.m. I am put on hold yet again. I really need to pee.
  • At 3:45 p.m., Adam says he is transferring me to technician now. Also, he says he made the adjustment to my next bill regarding last night’s interruption in service. I want to believe him, but who knows? Also, I am about to burst. I am put on hold again
  • At 3:48 p.m., hurrah, the cord stretches to the bathroom. Relieved, though still on hold.
  • At 3:49 p.m., Sam from technical support says he’s going to run some line tests. I am put on hold again.
  • At 3:57 p.m., Sam confirms there is a problem with the line, and says he will send out a technician.
  • At 4:02 p.m., he sets up an appointment with a technician for tomorrow.
  • At 4:03 p.m., I finally hang up.

No comments:

Post a Comment